NEW SERVER SETUP GUIDE
This guide contains the steps for setting up and configuring a new server for running the AgWare Maven Web Application. If you already have the application installed and are upgrading, please see Upgrade Guide.
Maven is not a desktop software. It is a Browser based application that needs to be installed on a server running Microsoft IIS (Internet information Server).
The default install for Maven is c:\AgWare\Maven. We do not install into the Program Files directory as we do with our desktop application. This is because Maven modifies files inside the install directory and doing that in Program Files is not encouraged. The files include the application.json file, log files, and report template files.
WINDOWS SERVER SETUP
Install IIS using the Windows Server Manager by adding the IIS Role. Make sure to include the Windows Authentication and WebSocket Protocol features.
Maven is a .NET application. However, it is a self-contained application and we do not require a specific runtime to be installed.
INSTALL THE .NET CORE WINDOWS SERVER HOSTING BUNDLE
- Install the .NET Core Windows Server Hosting bundle on the hosting system. The bundle installs the .NET Core Runtime, .NET Core Library, and the NET Core Module. The module creates the reverse proxy between IIS and the Kestrel server. If the system doesn’t have an Internet connection, obtain and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable before installing the .NET Core Windows Server Hosting bundle.
- Navigate to the .NET All Downloads page.
- Select the latest non-preview .NET Core runtime from the list (.NET Core > Runtime > .NET Core Runtime x.y.z). Unless you intend to work with preview software, avoid runtimes that have the word “preview” in their link text.
- On the .NET Core runtime download page under Windows, select the Server Hosting Installer link to download the .NET Core Windows Server Hosting bundle.
- Important! If the hosting bundle is installed before IIS, the bundle installation must be repaired. Run the hosting bundle installer again after installing IIS.
- To prevent the installer from installing x86 packages on an x64 OS, run the installer from an administrator command prompt with the switch OPT_NO_X86=1.
- Restart the system or execute net stop was /y followed by net start w3svc from a command prompt. Restarting IIS picks up a change to the system PATH made by the installer.
RUN THE AGWARE MAVEN INSTALLER
Download the AgWare Maven installer:
SETTING UP A NEW MAVEN INSTANCE
To create a new Maven instance, open the Maven Admin Tool. Default location is C:\AgWare\Maven\Admin
1. Add Application - Adds a new instance of Maven.
2. Site - Allows to add the instance to a subdomain or leave it a is for the default website.
3. Application Pool - Is the AppPool that this instance will use.
4. Name - Is the name of the reference. for the example shown the path to the instance will be https://CompanyWebSite/Maven - Prod.
5. Identity - Is a user assigned to the database with UAAR_WebService permissions. This is the user that the instance will run under.
6. Database Connection String - Clicking Edit will bring up a JSON file to configure the database string.
7. Save - Saves the instance.
CONFIGURING THE DATABASE CONNECTION STRING
Full documentation on the configuration screen can be found in the Configure the Database Connection String help article in this documentation.